newbie

Kerry Thompson kerry at security.geek.nz
Fri Dec 10 22:58:42 UTC 2004

OK, here's a few things to check :

 - make sure that the zone file that you're editing is the one configured
for the zone in /etc/named.conf

 - instead of rncd reload, try "kill -HUP <process_id_of_named>"

 - check syslog for reload messages, "grep named /var/adm/messages", you
should see reloading messages for the zone that you've changed, and the
new serial number ( remember to increase it every change you make ). If
you don't see them, then try "grep named /var/log/syslog". If you see no
messages then there's something wrong with the way that the named daemon
is running.

 - when using nslookup, make sure you're referencing the DNS server
properly. On the server itself, you should run "nslookup sknvibes.com
localhost" to make it lookup against the local server.

One of these will surely show up the problem, which is most likely
something fairly simple.

Kerry