libbind / FD_SETSIZE question (on Windows)

Stefan Puiu stefanpuiu at itcnetworks.ro
Fri Dec 17 16:27:27 UTC 2004

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can remember the use of libdns,
libisc and friends (the BIND 9 libraries) was discouraged, since they
provided APIs internal to BIND (and thus tied to the name server's
internal design). I don't remember exactly where I got this information
from - either the BIND 9 docs or the list archives, I researched this
quite a while ago. But anyway, having looked a bit through the BIND 9
code, I found the API  harder to use (especially when it involved memory
contexts or isc_tasks) than the libbind one. One of the options I've
thought of was to use the BIND 9 functions to format DNS packets and
then write our own code to handle the sending/receiving.

Is there a plan for future versions of BIND to include a rewritten
version of libbind (or some replacement)?