BIND9.3.0 installation

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Mon Dec 20 17:39:55 UTC 2004

> From: David Botham <DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com>
> Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:13:42 -0500
>
> bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 12/18/2004 10:45:47 PM:
> > First step is to make sure that gcc is installed.  It isn't
> > installed by default on a Solaris 9 build.  You can get it from
>
> I am no expert in the realm of compiling, but, the README file in the
> root of the src directory says this:
>
>         Building with gcc is not supported, unless gcc is the
>         vendor's usual compiler (e.g. the various BSD systems,
>         Linux).

I saw that message also.  However, I removed cc and built the
binaries.  The binaries work (on Solaris 7, 8, and 9).  All I did was
ensure that the requirements specified by the configure script were
met.

The resulting build may not be supported b ISC, but it runs and answers
queries as it should.

Frankly, given the "professionalism" of the gcc project, a binary is a
binary is a binary.  The software should be tested in various
"standard" combinations of compilers and machines and released when it
successfully builds on all supported platforms.  (Which is what ISC
does.  They just don't go far enough...  There should be a
SPARC/UltraSPARC/gcc mix in there...  Maybe.)

But to say that you have to use the vendor's "usual compiler" to build
the binaries just locks a user/admin into a usually costly
implementation.

My $0.02 worth...

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

[...snip...]

> > http://sunfreeware.com.  I'd recommend the UUNET or SprintLink
> > mirror for downloads.  You should probably download and install
> > GCC, libiconv and OpenSSL.  That should get you what you need for
> > compilers, etc.
> >
> > For most build that I have done on Solaris, your best bet is to set
> > your path like this:
> >
> > PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:${PATH}
> > export PATH
> >
> > This also *assumes* you're in sh, ksh or bash.
> >
> > That should take care of the compile.

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin