FYI: Mac OS X, Safari (et al), and DNS timeouts

Simon Hobson shobson0309 at
Wed Dec 22 14:44:48 UTC 2004

Jim Reid wrote:

>     Simon> A couple of weeks ago I set up an internal DNS server (BIND
>     Simon> on a Linux box) on my little home network, and then I
>     Simon> started getting "this site could not be reached" type
>     Simon> errors from Safari - you know, the ones where it almost
>     Simon> always works second time around. After a bit of packet
>     Simon> sniffing, and googling it seems that this is a known
>     Simon> problem engineered into OS X by Apple !
>This does not occur in the current release of MacOSX. Apple even
>mentioned in the update to 10.3.7 that the release fixed this
>problem. Upgrade. FWIW, the problem seems to have been in Apple's
>resolver library (or equivalent), not Safari. Other browsers had
>similar behaviour until the OS was updated.

Yes, I should have mentioned both these, actually I did mention 
10.3.7. I haven't had the opportunity to see if 10.3.7 does cure the 
problem since my laptop runs 10.2.8 - and at work we have 3 DNS 
servers configured.



NOTE: This is a throw-away email address which will reach me for as 
long as it stays spam-free, remove date for real address.

Simon Hobson MA MIEE, Technology Specialist
Colony Gift Corporation Limited
Lindal in Furness, Ulverston, Cumbria, LA12 0LD
Tel 01229 461100, Fax 01229 461101

Registered in England No. 1499611
Regd. Office : 100 New Bridge Street, London, EC4V 6JA.

More information about the bind-users mailing list