Forward only some subdomains?

Kyng Chaos wkyng at ccchhhaaarrrttteeerrr.nnneeettt
Fri Feb 6 21:57:40 UTC 2004

I've had this setup working nicely for quite a while, but our ISP just
threw a wrench into the works.

Our ISP handles our DNS (for the outside Internet world) and email.  We
handle web and ftp on our server (behind a NAT router).  Internally, I
have a DNS server set up with the same domain name - mostly so that
internal queries get a local IP for our web pages.  It is set up to
forward all queries except for our domain name.

Before, we checked and sent our mail with our ISP's domain name
(pop.chartermi.net, smtp.chartermi.net), but now they want us to use
pop.ourdomain.com and smtp.ourdoamin.com.  Since our internal DNS
catches all ourdomain.com queries, we can't get an IP for pop. and smtp.

So, is there a way to forward certain subdomain queries and catch all
others?  Bind 9.2.2

Currently the named.conf looks like:

options {
    directory "/var/named";
    allow-transfer {none;};
    recursion true;
    notify no;
    forward first;
    forwarders {
            24.196.64.39;
            24.196.64.40;
        };
};

- snip -

zone "ourdomain.com" IN {
    file "ourdomain.com.zone";
    type master;
    forwarders {};
};

zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
    file "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.zone";
    type master;
    forwarders {};
};

I've tried adding a forward zone entry for pop and smtp, but that didn't
work - no domain found.  Adding a NS entry in the zone file for pop and
smtp just ends up timing out when asking for those.  So for now I just
have A records for pop and smtp in the zone file, but I'm sure that's
not the way to do it, tho it works for now.

-WoK

--
Don't Panic.