NAME SERVER TIMEOUT - Emails not getting through consistently

Martin Glaude martin at simaltech.com
Tue Feb 10 14:04:06 UTC 2004

I'm getting numerous complaints from my users that they are not
receiving emails promptly (or not getting some at all).  Based on the
error messages, I think that the problem is with my DNS.  All tests
I've done come through okay, but I still must have cocked something
up.

Relevant lines from /etc/named.conf:

zone "acrobat-research.com" {
        type master;
        file "/var/named/acrobat-research.com.hosts";
        };

[ I just noticed this block.  Have I done something stupid and is this
blocking people? ]
controls {
        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
};

/var/named/acrobat-research.com.hosts:

$ttl 38400
acrobat-research.com.   IN      SOA     ns0.acrobat-research.com.
mglaude.acrobat-research.com. (
                        1049313408
                        108
                        360
                        6048
                        384 )
acrobat-research.com.           IN      NS
ns0.acrobat-research.com.
                                IN      MX      5
mail.acrobat-research.com.
www.acrobat-research.com.       IN      A       149.99.59.163
acrobat-research.com.           IN      A       149.99.59.163
mail.acrobat-research.com.      IN      A       216.223.127.174