NAME SERVER TIMEOUT - Emails not getting through consistently

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Feb 10 23:12:06 UTC 2004

Martin Glaude wrote:

>I'm getting numerous complaints from my users that they are not
>receiving emails promptly (or not getting some at all).  Based on the
>error messages, I think that the problem is with my DNS.  All tests
>I've done come through okay, but I still must have cocked something
>up.

>Relevant lines from /etc/named.conf:
>
>zone "acrobat-research.com" {
>        type master;
>        file "/var/named/acrobat-research.com.hosts";
>        };
>
>[ I just noticed this block.  Have I done something stupid and is this
>blocking people? ]
>controls {
>        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
>};

No, "controls" only governs communication between the "named" process
and the "rndc" program. It has nothing to do with the communication
between "named" and its DNS clients.

>/var/named/acrobat-research.com.hosts:
>
>$ttl 38400
>acrobat-research.com.   IN      SOA     ns0.acrobat-research.com.
>mglaude.acrobat-research.com. (
>                        1049313408
>                        108
>                        360
>                        6048
>                        384 )
>acrobat-research.com.           IN      NS
>ns0.acrobat-research.com.
>                                IN      MX      5
>mail.acrobat-research.com.
>www.acrobat-research.com.       IN      A       149.99.59.163
>acrobat-research.com.           IN      A       149.99.59.163
>mail.acrobat-research.com.      IN      A       216.223.127.174

Where is the A record for ns0.acrobat-research.com? Why do the
delegations for this domain (ns0.acrobat-aos.com and
ns1.acrobat-aos.com) not match what is in the NS records of the zone
itself? Please realize that at least two *different* servers are
required for every public DNS zone. The purpose of the rule is to
provide a minimal level of redundancy. Giving two different names to the
same IP address fails to meet this basic requirement.