How many resolvers

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 13 21:12:55 UTC 2004

Stewart James wrote:

> So what to bind people think about this? Should I continue the
> historic 2 resolvers (even though one of the resolvers is actually 3
> machines) or with such a redundant primary resolver is the use of
> secondary resolver pointless?
Always have two - just in case, the load balancer is infallible is it?

My experience is fancy redundant hardware often fails because it is too
complicated for the administrator (or the administrator that comes after
you).

Since a significant proportion of clients in a typical network can be
relied on to use the first listed server (at least till it stops
answering) you may find the back-up doesn't get that much routine
traffic anyway. But best to check that, as it may depend on client mix,
and other imponderables.

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: OpenPGP digital signature