How many resolvers

Stewart James stewart.james+google at vu.edu.au
Thu Feb 12 23:10:42 UTC 2004

Hi all,

This groups has always been so helpful, I figured I would put this
question to this list. To be honest I am torn about which way to go.

Historically speaking, at least 2 resolvers would be configured on
client machines. For obvious reasons this is a good thing - in a
typical setup.

I have been a little blessed and just finished setting up 3 resolver
servers behind some load balancing hardware (which is of course a
redundant pair) which sits on the core of our network.

I have the option of utilising a small secondary computer room for an
additional DNS resolver (in fact I will be putting an authorative
server down there so I confirm to the RFC's on number of authoratative
name servers), but for our internal clients, if the core network melts
(including all it's redundancy) not much is going to be accessable to
them, so DNS functioning really is not going to be useful to them.

So what to bind people think about this? Should I continue the
historic 2 resolvers (even though one of the resolvers is actually 3
machines) or with such a redundant primary resolver is the use of
secondary resolver pointless?

Cheers,

Stewart James