Load Balancing with Bind

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Feb 24 22:16:39 UTC 2004

Webmaster (N.S) wrote:

>bare in mind this is NOT true load balancing as it's doing round robin (i.e if server1 dies then still requests get past to server1)
>but there is something on microsoft site to update dns after 5 - 10 mins but with win2003 and iis 6.1 !
>
>"Kevin Darcy" <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote in message news:c1ea7e$1his$1 at sf1.isc.org...
>

>>Jeremy Schwartz wrote:
>>

>>>Can anyone show me the proper code to setup laod balancing using Bind?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>

>>In named.conf:
>>
>>zone "example.com" {
>>type master;
>>file "<insert filename here>";
>>};
>>
>>In the example.com zone file (along with the required SOA record, NS
>>records, etc.):
>>
>>www.example.com. a 1.2.3.4
>>www.example.com. a 2.3.4.5

I was waiting for someone to take that bait :-)

Fact is, it is not possible to do "true" load-balancing with BIND. What
I gave was one of the approximations.

                  - Kevin

P.S. Actually it's not "true" round-robin either. For many BIND versions
now, the default ordering scheme has been "random" rather than "cyclic",
and even "cyclic" is not "true" round-robin since the first record is
chosen at random.