named error? Is the a bug?

Chip Mefford cpm at well.com
Wed Feb 18 14:39:12 UTC 2004

Good Morning all;
 >>SNIP
>> Gerald Waugh wrote:
>> > I recently started seeing this error, new on to me....
>> >
>> > Feb 12 22:33:56 fsn1 named[823]: socket.c:1100: unexpected error:
>> > Feb 12 22:33:56 fsn1 named[823]: internal_send: 244.254.254.254#53:
>> > Invalid argument
>> >
> This is becoming a FAQ.
>
> You have a client trying to lookup relays.monkeys.com (a dead anti-spam list)
> which has a bad server with a CLASS E addressess.
>
> * Mark the server as bogus.
> * Fix the broken MTA generating the queries.
>
> Mark
>
> server 244.254.254.254 {
>         bogus yes;
> };

This certainly works.

I chased this around for days. Seems the newer spamassassin
distributions have relays.monkeys.com set up by default, and
this issue started showing up all over the place.

Some folks have written that BIND 9.x has crashed under the load.
I've not seen that. (Though I did have an instance of 9.1.3 crash
about the same time this showed up, but I think that's another
story). Anyway, users of BIND 8.4.x haven't reported anything like
this, and the lookup just fails, no unexpected error. At least, that's
what I've heard.

244.254.254.254 is certainly nothing that anyones dns server is supposed
to have to deal with, but in a sense, marking an A record as a class E
shouldn't generate errors, should it? Isn't this a DoS? Is this a bug?

--just thinking out loud,

-chipper