forwarding DNS server still trying to use built-in root hints

Don Pandori dpandori at thepandoris.org
Thu Feb 19 13:24:57 UTC 2004

I've got a BIND 9.2 server that is configured to use forwarders only for
Internet-based queries.  I have other zones setup that it is authoritative
for with an empty forwarders declaration and this setup seems to work
fine.

We've recently noticed that the server is trying to query root
name servers even though there are no root hints configured.  I've checked
the email archives and this isn't supposed to be the behavior.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Here's a quick snippet of my named.conf:

options {

        directory "/opt/DNS/dbfiles";
        forwarders { 10.121.64.30; 10.121.64.29; };
};

zone "core.nyenet" {
        type master;
        file "core/db.core.nyenet";
        notify yes;
        also-notify {
                10.48.0.157; // ns7
                10.66.161.61; // ns9
                10.122.192.24; // ns8
        };
        forwarders {};
};

Any other zones are configured similarly and according to the docs this is
legal.

Thanks!

Don Pandori