Active Directory Support

User, Public public at seajay.com
Mon Jan 5 15:37:01 UTC 2004

Hello,
I am looking to consolidate DNS to a single platform for all systems on
our network.  Currently BIND8 is being used for all name resolution.  We
will be adding a large Active Directory environment, and am looking for
the best way to implement DNS.  What we do not want is all WinXP/2000
workstations DNS entries to show up in the BIND files, but want the AD
and Windows DNS to synchronize, but not completely.  I am envisioning
having DNS on Windows handle the AD servers and workstations, and the
BIND8 servers to handle everything else.  I would like to have all
entries in BIND8 synced to AD DNS, but not the other way.  My questions
are as follows:
=20
Can I currently do this with BIND8?  Need to implement BIND9?
=20
Can I have BIND9 be the primary AD DNS supporting DDNS?  Does this need
to support GSS-TSIG updates?
=20
What are the possibilities of having BIND8 be primary to Windows DNS
servers, and keep our administration in BIND8 rather than move over to
Windows DNS for central DNS administration?
=20
I know this may pose more questions for Microsoft DNS folks, but I want
to get the capabilities of BIND to see if it will be possible to
maintain BIND as the central DNS service for the whole environment.
=20
Thanks,
Chris
=20
=20
=20
  <http://www.concordantinc.com>=20
Christopher P. Jenkins, Senior Consultant
Concordant, Inc.
P:  508-820-3080
F:  508-820-4367
C:  508-241-7415