Rebooting stops resolving for a while 2nd

Gary Mayor gary at abertron.co.uk
Tue Jan 6 21:54:07 UTC 2004

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote:
> Gary Mayor <gary at abertron.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>I apologies for my stupidness i've changed everything for the real
>>domains and ip addresses. I'm with server matrix and i've had to do 2
>>reboots today for some strange reason but strangely enough after those
>>reboots everything seems to be working. This seems to be a problem that
>>has no sinc in it any ideas.
>

>>Thanks
>

>>Hi,
>>When I reboot my server sometimes my domains and mail servers are not
>>available for an unknown amount of time but after several hours
>>everything returns to normal and everything can be accessed. The strange
>>thing is if after a reboot I try to access the domain or mail server
>>from my machine at home it doesn't work but if I go somewhere on the net
>>and try a ping test from somewhere else in the world it always works.
>>Can someone take a look at my main zone file and and a client zone file
>>and tell me if anything doesn't look right.
>

>>Main Zone File
>>$ttl 38400
>>onebm.com.	IN	SOA	69.56.188.6. onebm.com. (
>>			2003111224
>>			10800
>>                         3600
>>                         604800
>>                         38400 )
>>onebm.com.	IN	A	69.56.188.6
>>mail.onebm.com. IN	A	69.56.188.6
>>smtp.onebm.com. IN	A	69.56.188.6
>>www.onebm.com.  IN	A	69.56.188.6
>>ftp.onebm.com.  IN	A	69.56.188.6
>>onebm.com.	IN	NS	ns1.onebm.com.
>>onebm.com.	IN	NS	ns2.onebm.com.
>>onebm.com.	IN	MX	5 mail.onebm.com.
>>mail.onebm.com. IN	PTR	onebm.com
>

>>Client Zone File
>>$ttl 38400
>>abertron.co.uk.	IN	SOA	abertron01. gary at abertron.co.uk. (
>>			2003111245
>>			10800
>>                         3600
>>                         604800
>>                         38400 )
>>abertron.co.uk.		IN	A	69.56.188.6
>>mail.abertron.co.uk.		IN	A	69.56.188.6
>>www.abertron.co.uk.		IN	A	69.56.188.6
>>ftp.abertron.co.uk.		IN	A	69.56.188.6
>>abertron.co.uk.		IN	NS	ns1.onebm.com.
>>abertron.co.uk.		IN	NS	ns2.onebm.com.
>>abertron.co.uk.		IN	MX	5 mail.onebm.com.
>

>>Basically nothing works from from home computer after I reboot the
>>server but I seem to be able to access the server from elsewhere after a
>>reboot so what on earth is going on here.
>

>>I'm totaly confused any ideas.
>

>>Thanks
>

>>Gary Mayor
>

> You are missing entries for ns[12].onebm.com in your zonefile.
> What you have a a pair of glue-records in 'com.' ( that resolves
> to the same ip !! )
>
> In addition, what is "mail.onebm.com. IN    PTR     onebm.com" supposed to do ?

Hi,
I'm not sure what you mean by ns[12].onebm.com in the zonefile i've got
ns1.onebm.com and ns2.onebm.com in there is there somewhere else it's
meant to be.

Yes I am using the same ip address for both nameservers I know
everywhere advises not to but it works and I can't afford another
machine just for a secondary nameserver. I'm getting a second ip address
and will set up the second nameserver on that ip address but that will
also be on the same machine. Is that what people say should be done?

That PTR thing I seen it somewhere and put it in then things started to
work I havn't tried taking it out again. Will do soon if it's not required.

As you can see I really need to buy a book on bind but at the mo funds
are scarce.

Thank you for your help

Gary