DNS resolving without zone/domain information ?

Ryan Moore rmoore at rmoore.dyndns.org
Wed Jan 7 17:27:32 UTC 2004

I did this at home by creating a fake top-level domain called 'local.'.
And I made my linux box be primary for this fake top level domain.  When
any machine DHCPs on my network, it is told it is part of the 'local'
domain.

Then you need a zone file that defines:

linux1.local.	IN 	A	10.4.0.80
linux2.local.	IN	A	10.50.0.2

etc.

You can even make your name server be primary for

10.in-addr.arpa

and do reverse translation as well.