Bind9 and Novell compatibility?

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Jan 7 23:16:43 UTC 2004

> dhiraj Dhiraj <gdhiraj at novell.com> wrote:
> > New Netware6.5 shipped with a new named which is fully
> > compatible with Bind9
>
> > Dhiraj

> > I guess more specifically the person is using it to run their ISP,
> > small
> > community ISP. But when my Bind9 servers try to refresh a domain hosted
> > on
> > their servers it has random problems. Initial load is ok but refresh
> > fails.
> > But all my bind8 servers are fine?
>
> > I'm trying to figure out if there is some strange in-compatibility
> > between
> > bind9 and the Novell DNS server.
>
> > Shane.
> Yes, there is issues here.
>
> Some versions of novell-DNS ( maybe you can clarify this ?)
> answers NXDOMAIN for queries about records where it exists an
> antry but with a differing type. This is an error, bind-8
> does not catch this (always), bind-9 with it's stricter
> compliance with standards interprets thses answers as
> "there is no such domain".

	Shane sent me the name of the zone and servers.  The servers
	in question were *inconsistantly* broken in their response
	to AAAA queries.

	AAAA example.com -> NXDOMAIN
	AAAA ns.example.com -> NOERROR

	The answers below come from one of the servers in question
	and have been adjusted to hide the identity of the server.
	Both servers for the zone exibit the same fault.

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> example.com AAAA @ns.example.com
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	example.com, type = AAAA, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
example.com.		1D IN SOA	ns.example.com. gatekeepr.example.com. (
					2004010601	; serial
					3H		; refresh
					1H		; retry
					1W		; expiry
					1D )		; minimum

;; Total query time: 257 msec
;; FROM: drugs.dv.isc.org to SERVER: 1.2.3.4
;; WHEN: Thu Jan  8 10:05:06 2004
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 30  rcvd: 79

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> aaaa ns.example.com @ns.example.com
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	ns.example.com, type = AAAA, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
example.com.		1D IN SOA	ns.example.com. gatekeepr.example.com. (
					2004010601	; serial
					3H		; refresh
					1H		; retry
					1W		; expiry
					1D )		; minimum

;; Total query time: 250 msec
;; FROM: drugs.dv.isc.org to SERVER: 1.2.3.4
;; WHEN: Thu Jan  8 10:05:34 2004
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 33  rcvd: 91

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org