Bind9 and Novell compatibility?

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Thu Jan 8 04:36:59 UTC 2004

<Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote in message news:bti4am$22fc$1 at sf1.isc.org...

> > Some versions of novell-DNS ( maybe you can clarify this ?)
> > answers NXDOMAIN for queries about records where it exists an
> > antry but with a differing type. This is an error, bind-8
> > does not catch this (always), bind-9 with it's stricter
> > compliance with standards interprets thses answers as
> > "there is no such domain".
>
> Shane sent me the name of the zone and servers.  The servers
> in question were *inconsistantly* broken in their response
> to AAAA queries.
>
> AAAA example.com -> NXDOMAIN
> AAAA ns.example.com -> NOERROR

Interesting.  I had always assumed it was a general case, but
had never tested the difference between the zone apex and the rest
of contents.  I can confirm this with one of my zones, where a slave
server is Novell 5.1

LOC elgin.edu @ns1.pcc.edu -> NXDOMAIN
LOC webmail2.elgin.edu @ns1.pcc.edu -> NOERROR

I'm testing with LOC, because I had to insert a dummy AAAA
record to continue to receive mail reliably.