delegation with multiple NS including localhost

Sylvain Bertrand Sylvain.Bertrand at supelec.fr
Thu Jan 8 10:59:32 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

Let's say I own bar.org, and I want to delegate the handling of the zone
foo.bar.org to ns.foo.bar.org.

My /var/named/db.bar.org (on ns.bar.org) would look like this:

#------- CUT HERE -------
foo          NS          ns.foo.bar.org
ns.foo.bar   A           101.102.103.104
foo          NS          ns.bar.org
#------- CUT HERE -------

As you can see, I've delegated foo to both ns.foo.bar.org and
ns.bar.org, which is localhost.

I've seen on this ML's archives that bind would choose the fastest of
the two NS records for foo, and forward the request. In this case,
ns.bar.org is obviously the fastest since it is localhost. How do things
work from here? Does bind go into a non-ending recursion? Is the request
terminated (immediately or not?) and sent to the other NS record
(ns.foo.bar.org)?

I know it seems a little bit odd to delegate to yourself, but I've seen
(by typing "host -l") this case on a server which delegation to a
subzone doesn't work well, and I was wondering if these kind of records
could lead to errors of type 3 (NXDOMAIN), which occur from time to time
on this server.

If you guys have an answer, I'd be pleased to hear it!
Thanks.

Sylvain
(first message on this ML ;-))