second reply ... still need help Re: Verizon problems - what else is new

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Thu Jan 15 19:26:57 UTC 2004

The frist time I responded only to Mark <frown>, so now I'm responding
to the list.  Sorry, Mark.

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 02:19 pm, Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:

> 	The reverse and forward records do not match.

We're getting reverse DNS from our (small) connection provider.  They
run all their DNS on a Cobalt RaQ2 server running bind 8.2.3.  It's
unlikely they can update this, at least not in the short term <frown>.

They don't know how to fix this, so I'm hoping someone here will.

Here's a segment from their zone file (with the first two lines on one
line):

<snip>
@ IN SOA ns1.dnssys.com. root.ns1.dnssys.com. ( 2004011414 10800 3600
604800 86400 )
 IN NS ns1.dnssys.com.
155     in      ptr     ns1.dnssys.com.
</snip>...<snip>
200     in      ptr     raq41.provincetowndesign.com.
201     in      ptr     raq41.provincetowndesign.com.
</snip>

The relevant contents of the /etc/named.conf file (on one line) are as
follows:

<snip>
zone "128/25.240.58.65.in-addr.arpa" { type master; file
"pri.128-25.240.58.65.i
n-addr.arpa"; };
</snip>

As I understand it (and my understanding may very well be faulty) they
have to name it that way, because otherwise they can't get the
delegation from _their-  parent.

And as I also understand it, any manual changes they'd make (i.e.,
$ORIGIN) to the zone file would get overwritten by the RaQ's automatic
DNS handling.

Am I between a rock and a hard place here?  If so, perhaps I can get
them to delegate it to me, I handle DNS manually.

The machine in question has 19 non-contiguous IP#s and is NOT on a
subnet; is there a way for them to delegate individual IP#s to me for
reverse DNS?  Or should I just offer to do all their reverse DNS for
them (I'm willing if it'll solve the problem, which I'm sure some of
their clients must be having as well).

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation