dns nslookup failure

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jan 16 01:18:01 UTC 2004

Yes, you could have the colo set up the reverse records, but then you'd
have to go to them every time you wanted a change. If you have a /24
range or bigger, then the colo could delegate the relevant reverse
zone(s) to your nameservers, so you could maintain the reverse entries
yourself. If you have a range smaller than a /24, then you'd have to go
through something like the RFC 2317 mechanism (basically, the other
party needs to set up a CNAME record for each of your PTRs) to get
control of your reverse entries. In any case, you should probably start
by talking to your colo about what they are willing to provide and how.

                                             - Kevin