Sortlist and individual zones

Brian Miller bmiller at telstra.com.au
Tue Jan 27 04:36:04 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have been asked to look into setting up out companies internal DNS to
return different IP addreesses for a specific RR based upon the location of
the client (clients in each state get the IP address of a local server).

I can differentate between the clients easily enough based on their network,
and it looks like I could do what's needed with the "sortlist" option.

Currently our DNS's are running pretty busy, so I don't want all queries
being passed via the sortlist as over 99% of the queries don't need
sorting. Is it possible to have the sortlist applied only to a single zone?

We are running BIND 8, not 9 if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance,

Brian Miller