I want IPv4 preferred by host and dig

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Jan 26 09:23:56 UTC 2004

On 21.01 22:43, Erik Hensema wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:54:13PM +0000, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> > I installed host and bind utilities, and they seem to prefer ipv6
> > addresses (below). I have ipv6 support on my machine, but I haven't
> > configured it.
>
> Then things will seemingly break at random. Never EVER load the ipv6 module
> and don't configure it.

well, I think this point is right, however host and dig are the first
cases I really saw a problem.

> > When I want to query remote server defined by name and having ipv4 and
> > ipv6 addresses (e.g. ns.ripe.net), it seems that host and dig prefer ipv6
> > connections (looking at strace output of them).
>
> Yes, all ipv6 enabled applications do.

many ipv6 enabled applications have options -4 and -6, some also have
option to prefer ipv4 over ipv6 connections. What I want is to add these
options to dig and host.

Many application also have possibility to switch to ipv4 if ipv6 address
is not reachable. This behaviour would be nice to add to these utilities
too.

10 GOTO 10 : REM (C) Bill Gates 1998, All Rights Reserved!