Parent zone rejected on problems with slave zone

Peter L gorf_55555 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 25 02:20:57 UTC 2004

Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote in message news:<burssp$21av$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
> In article <bupaib$1vmo$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  gorf_55555 at hotmail.com (Peter L) wrote:
>
> > We have a very strange problem.  Our root, corpx.com has many children
>
> Please don't use the word "root" in DNS discussions unless you mean the
> real root zone ".".  You have a domain and subdomains, not a root.

ok....

> > that it slaves for.  They are not delegated, but we pull the zones as
> > slave.  Ocassionally, when one of these zones' NS goes off line or
> > whatever, this child zone will expire.  Upon that event our root
>
> Maybe you should increase the expire times in these zones, so they don't
> expire so quickly.  I recommend at least a week.

My point is that an expired slave should not affect the parent.

> > nameserver for corpx.com says " master zone "corpx.com" (IN) rejected
> > due to errors".  As soon as we either correct the connection to the
> > slave zone and get a good zone transfer, or comment out that slave
> > zone in named.conf, the root server is fine again.  What is going on
> > here?
>
> It would help if you told us what the errors are.  They should be the
> log messages preceding the one that says "rejected due to errors".

I thought I was clear about expiration... pasted below.

Jan 13 13:23:34 jan   root at clpr1:/var/tmp/BIND/src/bin/named
Jan 13 13:23:34 jan named[2860]: [ID 295310 daemon.notice] Ready to
answer queries.
Jan 13 13:23:36 jan named[2860]: [ID 295310 daemon.notice] slave zone
"cadc.corpx.com" expired
Jan 13 13:23:36 jan named[2860]: [ID 295310 daemon.error] master zone
"corpx.com" (IN) rejected due to errors (serial 200312230)