Zones and IPs outside of my subnet

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Jan 28 19:52:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 02:38:40PM -0500,
 Madison Kelly <linux at alteeve.com> wrote
 a message of 18 lines which said:

> The question I have though is can I simply point a zone at an IP I
> don't directly have control of?

Yes. The DNS is just a table. It does not know about what you control
or not.

> If so, how do I handle the reverse lookup?

Here, you have to ask to the guy which controls the IP address.

> If I create another reverse lookup zone for his IP address would
> that conflict with other reverse lookups elsewhere?

No, it won't conflict, but nobody will query *your* name server for
that record since it is not delegated to you.