how do you configure a site wide name server

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jul 2 18:16:51 UTC 2004

In article <cc47pe$2urd$1 at sf1.isc.org>, mathews at uk2.net (Chris Mathews)
wrote:

> probably obvious but have been trying to figure this one out
> for a while now - here goes...
>
> the primary name server for our domain is a remote DNS service
> provider.
>
> we would like to configure a system local to our network as a
> secondary name server for our domain using the external DNS service
> provider as our primary, so all of the other systems in our network
> can act as clients to this local secondary server.
>
> the problem is that the remote DNS service provider does not support
> us being a secondary server to their primary (something to do with
> network traffic and abuse)
>
> does anyone know if it is possible to achieve this using BIND servers
> on UNIX or should I give up now...

You could simply configure your server as a master server for your
domain.  Since it's your domain, you presumably know what should be in
the zone file -- you had to tell the service provider this in the first
place.

There's nothing inherently wrong with having two master servers for the
same domain.  It just means that you have to use mechanisms other than
zone transfers to keep them in sync.

A variation on this would be to have the remote DNS service operate as a
slave server rather than master server.  They would pull the zone from
your server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA