how do you configure a site wide name server

Sten Carlsen ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk
Fri Jul 2 18:52:25 UTC 2004

Barry Margolin wrote:
>In article <cc47pe$2urd$1 at sf1.isc.org>, mathews at uk2.net (Chris Mathews)
>wrote:
>

>>probably obvious but have been trying to figure this one out
>>for a while now - here goes...
>>
>>the primary name server for our domain is a remote DNS service
>>provider.
>>
>>we would like to configure a system local to our network as a
>>secondary name server for our domain using the external DNS service
>>provider as our primary, so all of the other systems in our network
>>can act as clients to this local secondary server.
>>
>>the problem is that the remote DNS service provider does not support
>>us being a secondary server to their primary (something to do with
>>network traffic and abuse)
>>
>>does anyone know if it is possible to achieve this using BIND servers
>>on UNIX or should I give up now...
>>

>You could simply configure your server as a master server for your
>domain.  Since it's your domain, you presumably know what should be in
>the zone file -- you had to tell the service provider this in the first
>place.
>
>There's nothing inherently wrong with having two master servers for the
>same domain.  It just means that you have to use mechanisms other than
>zone transfers to keep them in sync.
>
>A variation on this would be to have the remote DNS service operate as a
>slave server rather than master server.  They would pull the zone from
>your server.

You could also consider to switch DNS-provider to one who will allow
your server to be a slave. There is a possibility you could find one
cheaper as well.

My DNS-provider will at least let me set up my server to be a stealth
server and the master for their 5 servers for my domain. Price: 0.-  ;-)

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

No improvements come from shouting: