SPF records for subdomain

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Wed Jul 14 17:49:30 UTC 2004

>While we're at it, why not ban automobiles

nobody is recommending banning anything.  your straw man, you can knock it
down.

>since most drivers have an
>accident at some point in their lives?

thanks for supporting my point, since most CNAME users "have a
(CNAME) accident at some point in their lives" for a CNAME whose use was
not required.

>The solution to the "CNAME problem" is education and due care

yawn, who can argue with motherhood?   If education and due care were
widespread, this mailing list wouldn't have so much traffic.

>not just trying to will the record type out of existence.

another straw man. have at it.

>There are *many*
>situations in which CNAMEs are the preferred way to do things, classless
>in-addr delegation being only the best known example...

try to stay on topic, and stop attacking gratuitously.

My guess is that there are many more CNAMEs used simply because the zone
admin said "oops, I don't have any CNAMEs, yet. I better complete my
checkbox thinking. (no education, no due care) boom!", a situation that is
avoidable by avoiding CNAMEs unless necessary, and only with "due education
and care".

CNAMEs offer just enough abstraction and dissociation to send the majority
of uneducated, careless zone admins driving into a ditch (to say nothing of
the cases where the CNAME rdata field contains a non-local domain name on
some non-local DNS).

CNAMEs don't kill zones, zone administrators do.

My "recommendation" (not a ban, no willing) of avoiding CNAMEs is part of
my educational advice, ie, use CNAMEs with education and care, AND avoid
where unnecessary.

Len