SPF records for subdomain

Jason Mader jason at ncac.gwu.edu
Sat Jul 24 13:36:32 UTC 2004

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote in message news:<ccm6t6$1np2$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
> On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 08:44:43AM -0400,
>  Michele Chubirka <chubirka at gwu.edu> wrote
>  a message of 14 lines which said:
>
> > I have delegated a subdomain to a user who has asked me to do the
> > following: Add a CNAME record in my parent domain pointing to his
> > mail server.
>
> You mean:
>
> user   IN   NS ns1.user
> user   IN   NS ns2.user
> user   IN   CNAME mail.user
>
> ?
>
> It seems to be "CNAME and other data", which is bad (with an exception
> for DNSsec).

user isn't a domain, just a hostname.  Actually, I was hoping for
just,

user    IN A x.x.x.x
user    IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:x.x.x.x -all"

but since x.x.x.x already has another hostname, a request for two
hostnames to a single IP has been refused in the recent past.  So I
was just going to temporarily settle for the CNAME.

---Jason Mader, FHWA/NHTSA National Crash Analysis Center,
The George Washington University, VA Campus