two questions: zone transfers and WKS unknown protocol

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jul 15 18:15:22 UTC 2004

Nicole Skyrca wrote:

>Hello,
>I am new to BIND so please bear with me.  I didn't find answers to my =
>questions in the archives.
>I'm upgrading our ISC BIND version  from  9.2.1 on Solaris 7  to 9.2.3 on =
>Solaris 8.  I am also setting up a master/slave
>configuration for the first time.
>
>One of my zone files, syrhosts, on the master server contains a $INCLUDE =
>statement to include another file.
>The line looks something like "$INCLUDE syrhosts.manual".  When the slave =
>does a zone transfer, does
>it get all of the information that is in both the syrhosts and the =
>syrhosts.manual file and put it in the backup
>file on the slave?  Or does the slave need to have the syrhosts.manual =
>file copied to it separately?  How
>is the $INCLUDE statement handled with zone transfers?

Zone transfers are not *file* transfers, in fact zone data can come from
other sources besides files (e.g. backend databases, LDAP, mystic
vibrations in the cosmic ectoplasm, whatever). So, the answer to your
questions are a) the slave does not need the included file copied to it
separately (whatever zone data is in that file is already present in the
zone transfer) and b) the $INCLUDE statement is not present in the zone
transfer, and in fact there would be no standardized way to send it,
since zone transfers consist only of a sequence of resource records (I
suppose you could embed it in the RDATA of a TXT record if you really
wanted to).

>My second question concerns the WKS record.  I noticed the following error =
>in /var/adm/messages
>when I start or HUP named v 9.2.3.  I don't get these messages for version =
>9.2.1.  As a test, I tried removing=20
>the "59" and "57" from the line, and I don't see the errors when starting =
>named.  Did
>something change between the versions?  Any ideas?
>
>Jul 13 12:19:12  named[20707]: [ID 873579 daemon.error] dns_rdata_
>fromtext: /usr/local/domain/syrhosts.manual:1132: near 'TCP': unknown =
>protocol
>Jul 13 12:19:12 named[20707]: [ID 873579 daemon.error] zone syr.e
>du/IN: loading master file syrhosts: unknown protocol
>

>Line 1132 looks like this:
>church.case    IN      WKS     128.230.32.4 TCP 59 FTP 57 SUPDUP TELNET =
>SMTP
>

>Thank you very much in advance for your help! Please let me know if you =
>need further clarification.

WKS records are obsolete. Are you adding them because some app you use
actually *needs* them, or simply because you saw WKS records in some old
zone-file examples?