MX Records Not Loading

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jul 21 21:05:35 UTC 2004

In article <cdmj90$25nr$1 at sf1.isc.org>, rthornburg at nwlinc.com (Robert)
wrote:

> I'm having a problem with Bind 8 and it not loading the MX records I
> just added.  I have multiple domains and have no problems in the past.
>  However I have just added some new MX records and sent a HUP to the
> named process but the records did not load.  I can add a new A record
> in the same domain and that loads.  I have restarted the named service
> but still no luck.  Any ideas would be much appreciated!!!

My guess is you didn't put the MX records in the right place.  I suspect
your file was something like:

@ IN SOA ...
  IN NS ns1.whatever.com.
  IN NS ns2.whatever.com.

host1 IN A 1.2.3.4
host2 IN A 1.2.3.5

and then you added the following line at the end:

   IN MX 10 mailer.whatever.com.

This ends up being an MX record for host2, not for your domain.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA