FW: Re: named collapse all the time

Nir Cohen NirC at BEZEQINT.CO.IL
Mon Jul 26 20:37:40 UTC 2004

Hi
 I checked top and it's the named that consume all of the memory I have =
nothing else on the machine. My server is an authoretive zone server for =
over 8000 zones .and this dns is the authorative dns server for this =
domains(I worked for a big ISP).

Regards
  =20

               nir

-----Original Message-----
From: bind-users-bounce at isc.org [mailto:bind-users-bounce at isc.org] On =
Behalf Of phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 4:19 PM
To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
Subject: Re: named collapse all the time

Nir Cohen <NirC at bezeqint.co.il> wrote:
> Hello list
> =20
> few days ago I wrote you that I have bind 9.2.3 install on a compqaq=20
> hardware with linux redghat 3 as and 1G ram that has lots of problems. =

> Some people here recommended me to change the OS version so I moved to =

> the redhat 7.3 that I know its pretty stable. I install it on a compaq =

> G3 with 1G ram and 2 cpus x2.4. with bind 9.2.3 my configuration is :=20
> ./configure --prefix=3D/var/bloop --disable-ipv6 --enable-threades=20
> --sysconfdir=3D/var/bloop
> =20
> I have over 8000 zones that this server is authoritive for and the=20
> server is working 24 hours and crash with using all the ram and all=20
> the time increasing the usage of the swap.
> =20
> =20
> What do you think is the reason?

If the nameserver is used as "recursive server" for a number of clients=20
it will accumulate cached data, if your clients are numerous enough=20
1G might not be enough.

In that case add more memory.

Have you examined the ps or top output to make shure it's named=20
that consumes memory ?
> =20
> Regards
> =20
> =20
> =20
>                 nir
> =20

> ---------
> The information contained in this message is proprietary of Bezeq
> International, protected from disclosure, and may be privileged. The=20
> information is intended to be conveyed only to the designated=20
> recipient(s) of the message. If the reader of this message is not the=20
> intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,=20
> use, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly=20
> prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this=20
> communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to=20
> the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.
> ---------

--=20
Peter H=E5kanson        =20
           Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam =
out,