running master, slave on the same computer

Max Nokhrin mno11 at lycos.com
Wed Jul 28 03:57:52 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I am going to host a single domain on a dedicated box for now. I have
successfully set up BIND and all other required software and it's
working from home without error. I am about to move the box to a data
center and properly move the domain to it. However, I have the following
question before I do so:

Domain registrars ask for two DNS servers. I have two IPs alloted to me,
so I would not have issues providing two DNS servers. But: should I
actually run a master and a slave server on the same computer, and get
them to listen each on their appropriate IP, or would it suffice to have
the master listen on both IPs?

Thanks,
Max