running master, slave on the same computer

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Wed Jul 28 04:14:06 UTC 2004

At 11:57 PM 7/27/2004, Max Nokhrin wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I am going to host a single domain on a dedicated box for now. I have
>successfully set up BIND and all other required software and it's
>working from home without error. I am about to move the box to a data
>center and properly move the domain to it. However, I have the following
>question before I do so:
>
>Domain registrars ask for two DNS servers. I have two IPs alloted to me,
>so I would not have issues providing two DNS servers. But: should I
>actually run a master and a slave server on the same computer, and get
>them to listen each on their appropriate IP, or would it suffice to have
>the master listen on both IPs?

That kind of defeats the reasoning behind the requirement for having two
DNS servers. See if you ISP will provide backup DNS services. If not, just
binding BIND to both IP's would achieve the same thing and be simpler. The
point of master slave setups is to keep the zones in sync. If you already
have the zone files on your machine, why transfer them to yourself again?
But seriously, get someone else to do backup if at all possible or put
another machine in for secondary.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and
those that don't.