ISP fake result

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jul 28 04:41:09 UTC 2004

In article <ce6b3g$2i4$1 at sf1.isc.org>, samsouk <samsouk at noos.fr> wrote:

> A lot of people are saying that querying root servers is the best
> solution. I hope not all their clients will do the same.

Why do you hope this?  This is the normal way that nameservers are
expected to operate.

Are you concerned that this will overload the root servers?  Remember,
you only have to query the root servers when you don't have more
specific nameserver information cached.  So the first time you try to
look up any .COM name, you'll cache the NS records for .COM, and won't
have to go to the root servers again for .COM names until those NS
records' TTLs expire (2 days).

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA