Zone forwarding

Jez jez at replytogroup.com
Thu Jul 29 16:15:02 UTC 2004

Hi-

I have setup a local bind dns server and am trying to configure it as
follows:

 - To forward all requests for a particular domain (e.g. acompany.com) to
particular dns servers(149.xxx).
- To forward all other requests to my isp's dns servers (62.xxx).
- To not cache any data(not essential)

Below is the named.conf I have written, can someone please have a look since
it is not doing the above and I am not sure why after scratching my head for
a while:

I have replaced some parts of the ip addresses with xxx.

TIA

Jez.

# start of named.conf
 key "rndc-key" {
  algorithm hmac-md5;
  secret "Xc5izK2pw0W7WxaHx3Pgtg==";
 };

 controls {
  inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
   allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "rndc-key"; };
 };

//set server to forward all requests to ISP servers here.
options {
  //directory "/var/named";
  // version statement for security to avoid hacking known weaknesses
  version "not currently available";
  forwarders {62.xxx.xxx.xxx; 62.xxx.xxx.xxx;};
  forward only;
  // disables all zone transfer requests
  allow-transfer{"none";};

};

// required local host domain
zone "localhost" in{
  type master;
  file "pri.localhost";
  allow-update{none;};
};

// localhost reverse map
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in{
  type master;
  file "localhost.rev";
  allow-update{none;};
};

//acompany.com zone

zone "acompany.com" in{
 type forward;
 forwarders {149.xxx.xxx.xxx; 149.xxx.xxx.xxx;};
 forward only;
};

# End of named.conf