does not resolve private domain name

Keith Ng ngkeith at triumf.ca
Thu Jul 29 18:42:39 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am trying to setup a private domain zone (e.g. mydomain.local) on a BIND
9.2.2 server. This server is just a caching-only name server (not authorized
for any zones.).

I created a zone entry in the named.conf file and also the zone file
mydomain.local.zone for this private domain.

When I use nslookup or dig to query the server, every public domain is
queryable except this private domain. I did use named-checkconf and
named-checkzone to verify these configuration files.

My understanding is if I send a query to the name server, it will check its
named.conf file. If it find a zone entry with a matched name, it will return
the zone information. But I just can't get it resolve the private domain
name.

Would anyone tell me what do I miss in this situation?

Thanks

Keith