does not resolve private domain name

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jul 29 20:08:35 UTC 2004

Keith Ng wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to setup a private domain zone (e.g. mydomain.local) on a BIND
>9.2.2 server. This server is just a caching-only name server (not authorized
>for any zones.).
>
>I created a zone entry in the named.conf file and also the zone file
>mydomain.local.zone for this private domain.
>
>When I use nslookup or dig to query the server, every public domain is
>queryable except this private domain. I did use named-checkconf and
>named-checkzone to verify these configuration files.
>
>My understanding is if I send a query to the name server, it will check its
>named.conf file. If it find a zone entry with a matched name, it will return
>the zone information. But I just can't get it resolve the private domain
>name.
>
>Would anyone tell me what do I miss in this situation?

It doesn't check named.conf on every query. It checks named.conf only on
a (re)start, a reload or a "reconfig" (as issued by rndc), and it
(re)loads zone files for "type master" zones on a (re)start or a reload.

Chances are, the zone is not loading properly for some reason. Look in
your logs for the reason why.

Another outside possibility is that you're not querying the nameserver
you think you are.