transfer is not working

Olga olga at urbantimes.net
Tue Jun 1 15:44:30 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have two servers: one is running RH Enterprise Linux (slave for the zone I
want to transfer) and the other RH Fedora2 (master for the zone I want to
transfer).

However, I am getting a message about permission denied when dumping master
file. Here are the messages I receive:

1) on the master (Fedora2):
Jun  1 10:33:16 yyy named[9700]: client 131.xxx.xxx.xxx#50545: transfer of
'mysite.net/IN': AXFR started

2) on the slave (Enterprise):
Jun  1 10:33:02 xxx named[3313]: dumping master file: tmp-XXXXB8OZ2C: open:
permission denied
Jun  1 10:33:02 xxx named[3313]: transfer of 'mysite.net/IN' from
131.xxx.xxx.xxx#53: failed while receiving responses: permission denied
Jun  1 10:33:02 xxx named[3313]: transfer of 'mysite.net/IN' from
131.xxx.xxx.xxx#53: end of transfer

Here's the named.conf on the master:

// generated by named-bootconf.pl

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        /*
         * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
         * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
         * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
         * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
         * port by default.
         */
        // query-source address * port 53;

        allow-transfer {131.xxx.xxx.xxx;};

};

//
// a caching only nameserver config
//
controls {
        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
};
zone "." IN {
        type hint;
        file "named.ca";
};

zone "localhost" IN {
        type master;
        file "localhost.zone";
        allow-update { none; };
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "named.local";
        allow-update { none; };
};

zone "xxx.xxx.131.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "xxx.xxx.131.in-addr.arpa.zone";
};

zone "mysite.net" IN {
        type master;
        file "db.mysite.net";
        allow-transfer {
                131.xxx.xxx.xxx;
        };
};

Here's the named.conf on the slave:

[...]

        file "namedb/xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa.zone";
};

zone "mysite.net" IN {
        type slave;
        file "db.mysite.net";
        masters {
        131.xxx.xxx.xxx;
        };
};

include "/etc/rndc.key";

And here is the zone file:

$ORIGIN .
$TTL 86400      ; 1 day
mysite.net          IN SOA xxx.xxx.edu. root.xxx.xxx.edu. (
                                        2004042702      ; serial
                                        7200            ; refresh (2 hours)
                                        3600            ; retry (1 hour)
                                        604800          ; expire (1 week)
                                        86400 )         ; minimum (1 day)

                        IN              NS              xxx.xxx.edu.   (master)
                        IN              NS              xxx.xxx.edu.

                        IN              A               131.xxx.xxx.xxx

                        IN              MX              10 xxx.xxx.edu.
                        IN              MX              20 xxx.xxx.edu.

$ORIGIN mysite.net.
xxx                     IN              A               131.xxx.xxx.xxx
www                     IN              CNAME           xxx.xxx.xxx.

Can anybody tell me why I am getting permission denied when dumping master file.
Thanks a lot.

Olga