The RFC or the reason why you can not create CNAME record for t he "root record"

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Thu Jun 3 14:01:25 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 06/02/2004 01:04:43 AM:
> On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 18:56:29 +0100 Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:
>
> | Rewrite RFCs 1034 & 2181 and get them accepted by IETF and then
> | adopted as standards. Then have everyone's DNS software support your
> | rewritten standards. After that, get all the world's deployed name
> | server software -- not just name servers! -- update/migrate to the new
> | standards. In other words, not in our grandchildren's lifetime.
>
> So you're saying that once done, no changes can be made?  That would
seem
> to say that DNS cannot even evolve.  I don't believe that.  But I don't
> want to get into the politics of IETF.  If I make it work, people will
> use it, then someone will figure it needs to be standardized to make
sure
> there is just one uniform way to accomplish what people obviously want
> do.

I think what Jim is saying is that it can certainly be changed, however,
the amount of work required to do so is daunting. Probably so much so that
the average human will not care so strongly about the problem that they
would be willing to do what it takes put into affect their desired
changes.

[clip...]

Thanks,

Dave...