The RFC or the reason why you can not create CNAME record for t he "root record"

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Jun 4 23:06:34 UTC 2004

At 10:01 AM 6/3/2004, David Botham wrote:
>I think what Jim is saying is that it can certainly be changed, however,
>the amount of work required to do so is daunting. Probably so much so that
>the average human will not care so strongly about the problem that they
>would be willing to do what it takes put into affect their desired
>changes.

No, what Jim is saying is that he hasn't considered all of the good reasons why
CNAME's should never be used in the way he's advocating. To get it through IETF
in the first place he would need to overcome all of those reasons and not
merely
most of them. If he thinks this newsgroup is difficult, wait till he tries
to advocate
this in namedroppers, which is the IETF working group list.

Has he considered using DNAME instead?

Danny