can anyone tell me what is wrong with my subdomains?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jun 3 21:22:30 UTC 2004

In article <c9nvev$2tlh$1 at sf1.isc.org>, jogdial at hotmail.com (Jog Dial)
wrote:

> Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
> news:<c9l8hk$du$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
> > ns.cerbernet.co.uk's copy of the emtex.com zone doesn't have the NS
> > records for the subdomains.  Did you add these to the emtex.com zone
> > file, and did you increment its SOA serial number when you did it?
>
> hmmm, good point, I missed that.  I am usually a real stickler for
> updating the serial number, but as many updates as I was doing that
> day trying to get things working, I'm not sure anymore, have updated
> it now...  could not having NS records for the domain cause the mail
> failure?  I'm still getting pretty odd results as I dig around
> different name servers.

Yes, if there are no NS records for the subdomain, anyone trying to look
up its MX records will not be directed to the proper nameservers, so
they won't be able to get them.

Actually, I wasn't quite right with my original assessment.  It's not
just the NS records that are missing, but the zones for the subdomains
also seem to be missing on the slave server.  Your NS records on the
master server say:

us.emtex.com.     86400 IN NS ns.uk.emtex.com.
us.emtex.com.     86400 IN NS ns.cerbernet.co.uk.

but ns.cerbernet.co.uk doesn't seem to be configured as a slave server
for the subdomain.

Since you're using the same servers for the parent and child domains,
why don't you just keep them in a single zone?  Delegation is only
really necessary when the subdomain is on different servers from the
parent.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA