can anyone tell me what is wrong with my subdomains?

Jog Dial jogdial at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 3 12:02:44 UTC 2004

Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote in message news:<c9l8hk$du$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
> In article <c9l2i9$2ql3$1 at sf1.isc.org>, jogdial at hotmail.com (Jog Dial)
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have setup two subdomains from my domain.  My domain is
> >
> > emtex.com
> >
> > The subdomains are
> >
> > uk.emtex.com
> > us.emtex.com
> >
> > Some mailers are still refusing to send email to us saying
> > non-existant domain.
> >
> > I have tested both of subdomains using dig against both nameserver,
> > ns.emtex.com and ns.cerbernet.co.uk and they both come back with
> > noerror.  Can anyone see what is wrong?  Many people can email us... a
> > few can't.  I have been looking at this for 3 days and thought I had
> > it all working ok last night, but then someone again had problems
> > today.  Could they have bad cached data?
>
> ns.cerbernet.co.uk's copy of the emtex.com zone doesn't have the NS
> records for the subdomains.  Did you add these to the emtex.com zone
> file, and did you increment its SOA serial number when you did it?

hmmm, good point, I missed that.  I am usually a real stickler for
updating the serial number, but as many updates as I was doing that
day trying to get things working, I'm not sure anymore, have updated
it now...  could not having NS records for the domain cause the mail
failure?  I'm still getting pretty odd results as I dig around
different name servers.

thanks