CNAME and other data -vs- could not find NS and/or SOA records

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jun 3 21:29:10 UTC 2004

In article <c9nv3d$2t5a$1 at sf1.isc.org>, phil-news-nospam at ipal.net
wrote:

> But the general reaction I'm getting here is:
>
> 1.  The protocol is the way it is, and you can't change it because your
>     change would violate the protocol.

It's not quite that simple.

Yes, protocols can be changed, but it's a *lot* of work.  It takes years
to go through the IETF process to get a major protocol revision adopted.
And if the change is incompatible, you'll need a very good argument for
why it's necessary.  There are thousands of nameservers out there,
running a wide variety of DNS implementations and versions; even if the
change is approved, it will take a while for it to become widespread in
production.

So if you can find a way to achieve your end result without requiring a
protocol change, this is strongly recommended.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA