CNAME and other data -vs- could not find NS and/or SOA records

Edvard Tuinder listbind at lunytune.nl
Thu Jun 3 21:39:54 UTC 2004

According to Barry Margolin:
> In article <c9nv3d$2t5a$1 at sf1.isc.org>, phil-news-nospam at ipal.net
> wrote:
>
> > But the general reaction I'm getting here is:
> >
> > 1.  The protocol is the way it is, and you can't change it because your
> >     change would violate the protocol.
>
> So if you can find a way to achieve your end result without requiring a
> protocol change, this is strongly recommended.

Though the real problem has still not been specified (*why* do you actually
need this, or think you need this), you may want to take a look at the
DNAME record. Up to a certain extent, it might do what you need.

Alternatively, if you are the authoritatively nameserver for both domains,
you could always include the same source file for both domains. The end
result is that which you seem to desire.

Do note that you may be right that it did work in past versions of bind.
There have been bugs and protocol violations in bind. One of the reasons
why development continues. If you do want to change the protocol, visit
the namedroppers mailing list.

Also note that patching your nameserver may appear to achieve your goal,
but has absolutely zero guarantee that it will work at all. Other nameservers
tend to adhere to the protocol and if you sent out 'garbage' they may decide
to ignore your data and declare the zone (domain) lame.

-Ed