'dig -t any ...' question

Ladislav Vobr lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae
Sat Jun 12 08:05:12 UTC 2004

> When you ask for ANY, you get whatever happens to be in the cache at
> that moment.  The Recursion Desired flag only means that it should
> recurse if necessary.  But if the answer is already cached, recursion is
> not necessary.  An ANY query will only recurse if the server has no
> records cached for that name; if anything is cached, that's what you get.

when you ask for ANY with a client with rd flag it doesn't provide a
records with cridibilityy level 'glue', it returnsI believe only
'answer' and 'authanswer' credibility, my point is how come the glue
from the parent is considered as a 'answer' credibility in the mentioned
case.

I have a sample domain ladislav.name.ae it has 5 fake unreachable
nameservers, there is no way you can get them with rd flag using ANY or
NS type, since they are in the cache only as a glue.

This seemed confusing to me, how come the answer from the parent is
sometimes considered answer and sometimes as a glue? Does it depend on
the rr type is NS records a different ?

Ladislav