restarting named - maintaining dynamic DNS records

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jun 16 23:45:35 UTC 2004

Noah wrote:

>FreeBSD-4.9-STABLE
>bind-9.2.3
>

>well I am unable to find the appropriate page that handles my current issue.
>
>I am wanting to maintain the updated information from my dhcp-client when I am
>restarting my named process.  currently I need to have dhcp on the client side
>resend all dynamic A records.  any clues how I can fix this issue?

You'd need "multi-master" in order to keep accepting Dynamic Updates
while one or more of your masters' named processes is being recycled.
Stock BIND doesn't support multi-master, but some commercial offerings
which feed BIND (or some other nameserver implementation) from a
back-end database have this feature.

Alternatively, convince the provider of your DHCP client to implement
queueing and retry of failed Dynamic Update attempts...