Mark : resolv.conf additions ?

Jean Tourrilhes jt at bougret.hpl.hp.com
Thu Jun 17 19:37:32 UTC 2004

	Hi Mark,

	Sorry to bother you, but I would like to get a more definitive
understanding of where we are going with my proposal.

	Please check one of the following option :
		( ) Denied
		( ) Need more work
		( ) Need more time
		( ) What proposal ?
		( ) Why are you e-mailing me ?

	It is now clear that most OSes dynamically update the
/etc/resolv.conf as the result of DHCP and PPP. You confirmed it, and
Sten Carlsen confirmed that even OS-X does it. We can't pretend it
does not happen, and we can't go back to the old days of static
/etc/resolv.conf.
	Now, the question is : what do we do about it.
	1) Well, obviously we could continue to ignore it and wait
until something breaks.
	2) We could also always assume that /etc/resolv.conf is volatile
and change code to work with that.
	3) We could implement (2) and add the "dynamic_config" option
to allow caching of /etc/resolv.conf when static (for performance
reason, on servers and desktops).
	4) We could implement (3) and the other addition I propose.

	If you want to talk technical details, I've got a much better
patch than the one I originally sent, that is feature complete and
debugged, but it's not as easy to read.

	I also realise that bind-users may have missed the original
theread, sorry about that :
	http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind9-users&m=108682945122532&w=2

	Have fun...

	Jean