bind vs. MS DNS

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Jun 21 14:11:45 UTC 2004

and Danny Mayer <mayer at gis.net> replied:

>Why bother in the first place? When you set up a DC add the SRV record
>into the zone yourself just as you would any other record. I have no idea
>what your trouble ticket is about, but nothing prevents you from creating
>your own SRV record.

I could add the SRV records to my W2k+3-hosted zones via

     1) netlogon.dns
     2) the DNS GUI
     3) the "dnscmd" command line interface.

But why should I do that when the DCs can register their SRV records
dynamically.  My trouble ticket with MS involves the hourly
self-registration attempts by the DC.  In W2k the attempts just failed;
I could ignore the "update denied" messages in my BIND syslog.
In W2k+3 each failure produces a 40961 EventID record.  I cannot disable
self-registration on the DC without (in the same process) disabling
the DC registration of its SRV records.  As I have no idea when a DC
might want to unregister SRV records or register new SRV records, I
prefer to have the registration process automatic.
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov