bind vs. MS DNS

Michael Meyer mi_me at freenet.de
Fri Jun 18 16:55:48 UTC 2004

> There are three distinct DDNS registrations from a DC:
>
>      1) self-registration - just like any other W2k workstation
>      2) registration of the SRV records
>      3) registration of the domain "A" record.
>
> I can disable 2) and 3) with registry settings.  If I disable 1) via
> TCP/IP properties, then I automatically disable 2).

I can confirm that.

> In my case I want 2) but not 1) and 3).

Me, too.

Actually 1.) is just annoying. W2K3 server tries to register. This is
not allowed, which can be read in the named.log. The A- and PTR-record
is available.

Just an idea to be confirmed: the server where to register is exactly
the mname entry in the soa line. Setting it to localhost prevents
registrations. SRV records are located in those underscore (_tcp, ...)
domains which its own zone files. Their mname entries can point to the
responsible DNS server (Bind or MS DNS). SRV registration should work.

I will test it on Monday. We test ADS with bind v9.2.3 integration.
Our working configuration looks like:

ADS W2K3 Server with DNS responsible for underscore domains. DNS as
client ask bind DNS.

Bind DNS responsible for company.de and its reverse zones. ADS underscore
zones are integrate as stub zones.

zone "_<..>.company.de" { type stub; master {1.1.1.1;}; file "db.<..>"; };

XP clients ask bind DNS.

Other configuration are going to be tested as well. If you have some ideas
to be verified let me know.

Regards
Michael