BIND 9 AAAA record problems

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Jun 23 23:43:04 UTC 2004

    Brock> I have gone from BIND 8.3.7 to 8.4.1 to 9.2.2 on FreeBSD
    Brock> 4.9 in order to try to fix this.  Obviously I've got
    Brock> something wrong elsewhere since none of these versions of
    Brock> BIND has worked.  On Mozilla/Linux, I can trace 4 AAAA
    Brock> query, 5 seconds apart, to my ISP's DNS server.  Only after
    Brock> these 4 have failed do I send an A query.  My dumb Windows
    Brock> machine will connect immediately, as it only sends A
    Brock> queries.  AAAA queries for other domains on my ISP's DNS
    Brock> server resolve as they should, so it's not their fault
    Brock> either.

So find out what's making those AAAA queries and fix it. BTW, why is
that application querying your ISP's name server and not your own name
server?

The delegation for efori.com is broken. The .com name servers say this
is served by ns{1,2}.efori.com: 65.182.78.13{3,4}. [You should have
one of these servers on another net, but that's a different mistake to
be fixed.] Both of these two servers say efori.com is served by
dns1.efori.com, which is a name that doesn't exist. It may well be the
AAAA queries you're reporting are attempts by something to find IPv6
addresses for this non-existent name,

    Brock> I know that BIND should return an empty, non-error
    Brock> response.  But what do I need to configure in order for
    Brock> this to happen?

Nothing. If a NOHOST response is appropriate, that's what your name
server will return.